Sunday, January 14, 2007

sunday night



hey everyone... here is a nice little sexy ice pose for you this sunday evening. hope everything is going well with you. right now, peter and megan are probably playing european board games, mom is doing a crossword puzzle while dad is asleep in front of pbs, abby is planning her next steps in "improving" her kitchen, justin is shooting something outside in the snow, anna is probably acting like a kitty, thomas is reading calvin and hobbes, and sarah and kojoe are probably watching some movie. my, we are such a predicatable family aren't we?

i just got done with my monthly urban homeworks meeting which take place to help us understand the twin cities better. Today we had a lady from the african american community in the twin cities. here are a couple of interesting facts i learned:

while african americans make up only 8 percent of Minnesota's population, thirty percent of people in minnesota prisons are african american.

the teen pregnancy rates for minnesota as a whole are some of the lowest in the nation, yet the african american teen pregnancy rate in minnesota is one of the highest (103 per 1000)

as of 2001, minnestoa had the highest concentration of inner city poverty in all of the fifty states

It was interesting to learn more about the huge disparity between the affrican american community and white community in minnesota.

Along these lines, there is a new display at the science museum on race over the next week. I really want to go and was wondering if anyone would like to come. I can get free tickets from the library. Hope your mondays go well, matt

ps, mom- thanks for not preaching :) i guess you can preach if you want and i am waiting for you to remember and publish your jokes.

2 comments:

Horn/Bosma Family Blog said...

Hey, European Board games was last nights fun. Nice try Matt :) (Meg and Pete)

Horn/Bosma Family Blog said...

Wow - the picture scared me...I thought you'd slipped on the ice and took this picture to verify your insurance claim...so it's good news to know there's no serious mishap!

Your speaker sounds interesting...none of the statistics surprise me except about MN having the highest concentration of inner city poverty in the US. I'd certainly think LA or NYC or New Orleans or somewhere else would be the highest...

OK - one other thing - predictable---NOT! I'll have you know upir dad was at Scouts tonight, and I never even touched a crossword puzzle today. Instead I watched the movie "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" tonight. My book club discusses it tomorrow night, and I just got the book yesterday from the library (a copy wasn't available earlier) so I knew I'd never get it all read. So now the story's in my mind again (I read it many years ago when I was in junior high and it was one of my favorites) - and I'll skim through it to get a sense of the writing. Luckily for me, my book club is rather lenient...So that should give you an idea of the varied life your father and I live!

I'll save the jokes for a time I'm hard up for anything else to say...

PS - beautiful snow tonight...looks like the ideal for Christmas eve!